Punt E Mes Carpano Vermouth
The story goes that on 19 April 1870 , a stockbroker, caught up in a discussion with colleagues whilst in the Carpano wine shop about the increase in share prices on that day – one and a half points – ordered his usual Carpano vermouth but asked for the barman to add half a measure of bitter, using the regional expression “Punt e Mes”. The drink immediately became popular as an aperitif before lunch, as recalled by the barman of the time Maurizio Boeris.
- Range: Punt e Mes
- Producer: Branca Distillerie
- UK Distributor: Hi-Spirits
- Retail Price: £12.91
- Origin: Milan, italy
- ABV: 16%
- Distinct Botanicals: Unknown at present
- Wine Base: Unknown at present
- Sugar Content: Unknown at present
- Nose: Very full bodied! Almost musky with red fruit notes
- Palette: Sweet to start with but then develops into a strong but pleasant bitterness, lots of burnt orange and cola cubes
- Finish: Has a lingering bitterness and the burnt orange stays prevalent
- Overall: Wow, I’ve not had Punt e Mes in years, I have sorely been missing out, I can see why it’s so widespread in cocktail bars. The sweetness of Vermouth with the complexity of a bitter. Would I use it, absolute, not as a house vermouth but in cocktails for sure!
Punt E Mes Carpano Vermouth was a favourite drink of the founder of FIAT, Giovanni Agnelli, as he recalled in his memoirs of 1916.