The Matador Cocktail is a lesser known cousin of the Margarita, being sweetened with pineapple as opposed to triple sec liqueur. With just three ingredients it’s simple and quick to make and is typically served straight up.
This being said, other online recipes add simple syrup and bitters into the mix, like this one from Patron. While I’m definitely down with adding bitters to everything (can they possibly make a drink worse?) pineapple juice is generally plenty sweet enough as it is.
The nice thing about this drink is that Pineapple, Tequila and Limes are all products that Mexico can produce and export. The name appears to be the only import in the Matador Cocktail!
Matador Cocktail Recipe
- 1½oz (45ml) Blanco 100% Agave Tequila
- 1½oz (45ml) fresh pineapple juice
- ½oz (15ml) fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- I know, I said it’s a three ingredient drink, but bitters make everything at least 10% better.
- Shake all the ingredients with ice, strain into a flute glass (or a martini or coup) without ice.
Drink me later?
We’ve created a handy recipe card so you can save the Matador Cocktail for later. Why not add it to your Pinterest board so you never lose it?