Ford from the Worldwide Bartender Community asks:
“Advice for Bar Managers please”
Decide if you’re on Defence or Offence from day one.
Playing Defence as a Bar manager
- Careful margin management
- Concern about theft
- Micromanaging bar team
On the Offence
- Maximising sales
- Hiring fast, firing fast
- Training your team so you can trust and empower them
- Focusing on guest experience & reputation
- Using your network (and building it) – No different to any other business
Lilly from Happy Bartenders Thrive asks:
“Can you give advice on staying in the game and keeping energy levels up during bar shifts?”
- Self care – fitness, wellness
- Loving what you do – Owning your relationship with guests
Ehren from Happy Bartenders Thrive asks:
“Thoughts on poaching bartenders from other bars?”
- Why don’t the bartenders want to stay where they are?
- If the bar is paying their bartenders what they’re worth and taking care of them, they won’t risk going
- If you’ve not earned the loyalty of the bartenders, you don’t deserve to keep them. Good bars will welcome great staff moving on to better roles as it reflects well on them.